Skip to main content

Can't write? Talk!

I attended a workshop on 'beating writer's block' though I knew I did not yet reach to that stage of writing to face writer's block. I have been procrastinating about writing a journal article for a long time, more than two years now and then I put it aside completely thinking its not the priority at the moment. The priority is finishing the PhD. But you know its not write, publishing is the key to be in academia after my PhD. Even if not the journal article I have been procrastinating about writing 1000 words everyday. I have been telling myself since the beginning of my PhD that I will start tomorrow. May be I am the only one who is being so stupid during her PhD. And you are thinking that reading my blog is a mere waste of time. But wait, I might have to tell something to the people who think like me.

Well, as I have started my scary third year, I don't have any choice but write. I could not yet finish the whole chunks of data analysis. I am doing mixed methods research and I have to apply quite a number of methods which made it quite hard to finish the analysis in time. I have been struggling with it since June. But I already beat statistical analysis and now I am writing the results of observation and behaviour mapping. The only right thing I am doing about my research is writing the results simultaneously with the analysis. I finish analyzing one part and I try to write it right away before jumping to the analysis of another sets of data. So now I am working on the behavioural observation data before I start the analysis of purely qualitative data- focus groups and interview.

Now all the quantitative results of the behaviour mapping are ready and put into a matrix, the qualitative aspects of the observation missed in the behaviour mapping are also pointed out and written into an excel sheet and I plotted out the questions I am going to answer/address in this chapter. I chalked out the chapter sections and sub-sections and tried to put all the graphs to the respective sections. Now its just time to write down what I have got. It looks quite simple, right? But here I faced the writer's block for the first time during my PhD- at the stage of composing or drafting the chapter. For two days I played around the sections and sub-sections, inserted pictures where necessary, deleted again and inserted something new. The whole story is in my head but I just could not bring it down.

Stages of writing (adapted from workshop material by Mimo Caenepeel)

Generally a PhD student faces writer's block at the composition or drafting stage of writing PhD thesis. That was not exception for me too. I went through the workshop material. One of the most important advice that I was listening to so many times during my PhD is to set achievable goals during the writing process, like making an outline of the chapter or drafting a sub-section of a chapter. I was doing all these but yet I just could not write- I could see the whole picture, yet I just could not start writing.

I did not know what to do, as such I was looking for my colleague who was working on the same behavioural mapping method. Our research is quite different yet I though may be learning about how she worked on how chapters would help. At the evening when she came to office from some course I randomly told her that I was struggling to write. We went out to another room for talking a bit. She asked me what I am struggling with. I was trying to tell her about my chapter. That was quite a lot of thing that I am handling with that method so she asked me to use a paper to help her understand.

So I took a piece of paper and doodle while I was talking to her what I found and how I am going to organize my chapter. Just after I finished the doodle it seemed I am ready to write. But it was 8 pm and already and I thought of taking the night to reflect a bit more and then go back to it the first thing next morning. 

I went back home that night and I felt so restless until I went back to writing in the office the next morning. I am the most productive at early hours, and whenever I used to procrastinate about something, the next morning I always felt like working even before I brush my teeth. It takes half an hour to walk to my office from home but on that morning the office seemed very far. You might think why I did not start working in the morning at home on my pajama. I always admire my office desk as the best place to be productive as the moment I sit there I am disconnected with the whole world.

And then I reached office, grabbed the coffee and it just came to finger tip...
I spent the next three days working on that chapter. Its not finished yet but I am taking break today, its Sunday, come on!

I am working on manageable chunks so I felt accomplished after each day's session. I worked on only one sub-section each day, I hope to finish it by next two days...Then I will spend two days on adding, expanding or changing some content before I send to my supervisors. I am putting restructuring aside until the end of my data analysis.

The central idea of this long story is 'talk'...Talk whenever you get scope of talking..to your peers, to our partner, even to your dog..Whenever you take the attempt to talk you are in a way telling the estory, and writing is a way of communicating that story to an audience. If you can talk, you can write! I am not any expert but I think I am right at least in this matter :-)

Happy writing!!





Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your PhD experience in detail. I love it, it gives many PhD students like me a great mental support.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Planning breaks during your PhD

When I started my PhD here people told everything about work during the PhD like working long hours or even during week end, working hard during the Government Holidays when even the school office is closed and access is limited to the University... bla bla. The thing that I never heard of is planning a break during this long journey. So I took it for granted that I am married to the PhD for this three years and should not think of anything else. But soon I became tired, started nagging with my husband for holidays and at one time I freaked out. It was just after three months during Christmas. Me and my husband were not really used to the idea of planning the breaks long before and found it impossible to go somewhere as the ticket prices were untouchable at the moment. So I got rotten at home for those few days of vacation. I carried loads of books to home which remained untouched until the day when the school reopened. I am from a country where people generally don't plan

Patha Bhavana, Shantiniketan_ More than 100 years of outdoor learning practice

Patha Bhavana   ( Bengali :   পাঠ ভবন ) is an institution of primary and secondary education in   Santiniketan ,   West Bengal ,   India . It was founded by   Nobel laureate Poet   Rabindranath Tagore   in 1901 with only five students which later grew into   Visva-Bharati University . The school is established based on the philosophy of learning being in nature with close connection to it without any superficial barriers between teachers and students. It was opposed to the mainstream classroom learning system based on the books only. It’s often referred to as an   ashram   system where the teacher is guru and teaches his or her disciples sitting in the shade of a tree. It is one of the two primary and secondary school affiliated with the Visva-Bharati University; the other being   Shiksha Satra . Patha Bbhavana is established for children from class I to class XII. Generally in the schools in Indian subcontinent children remain in the classrooms. The teacher moves from one

Review: Outdoor Environmental Education Research Seminar 2016

I attended the Outdoor Environmental Education Research Seminar 2016 at Broomlee Outdoor Education Centre from 13-15 April 2016 organized by the PhD students based in Moray House School of Education, the University of Edinburgh. Different people have different interests and they pick different things from a seminar or talk. This is my account of what I learnt from the Seminar which might not be the same as other participants. However, I enjoyed these three days to the fullest and would like the conversation to be continued. Based on my perceptions I grouped my learnings under several headings- impact of outdoor environment, teachers' perceptions, research methods, learning for sustainability, policy impact, publishing research and outdoor activities. Figure  1 : I enjoyed the food in Broomlee Outdoor Education Centre- they kept in mind individual choices and preferences Impact of outdoor environment- Matluba Khan, Aristea Kyrikou, Jamie Hamilton Me and Jamie explore